Few days ago we mentioned a virus called Hipmy, and in this article we’ll review it. The article includes the easiest ways to uninstall Hipmy from the PC, and from IE, Opera, Google Chrome, Safari and Mozilla Firefox. Symptoms of this virus are: abundance of promotional content, unauthorized modification of browser settings, decreased speed of browser’s work and redirections to suspicious web-pages.
Hipmy adware is the tool that is engaged solely in promotional activity. After the penetration, Hipmy starts to place ads, and makes it in all possible ways. P-ups, the manipulation with the search results, redirections, viral links and commercial banners – this is a full description of its techniques. As you know, search engines are thoroughly checking the content that is shown to you. Web-pages are thoroughly checked, and only the most useful ones can pass this test. Web-sites, which don’t pass this test, can be named “suspicious”. The test is called indexing, and the amount of resources that is required to do it is really great, because thousands of sites of varying grades are designed daily, and the new, sections, pages and items emerge on the web-sites that are already checked. The installation of such virus, in fact, declines all features of well-known search engines, and victim’s browser becomes extremely vulnerable to all threats. Adware has neither the money nor the people to test the websites as Yahoo does. When you type anything via the compromised browser, Hipmy just picks the most appropriate web-page of few dozen that are kept in its memory, and puts it on the first place. You have almost 100% probability that this webpage is viral, and has no relation to the thing that you need to find. Adware shows it to you only because the owners of this site have made an agreement with the creators of virus, obliging them to make a certain amount of link clicks. Malware is not interested in man’s preferences, and pays no attention to his wishes. Hipmy needs you to see as much banners as it is possible, until you realize that you are tricked.
Step 1. Remove Hipmy from Control Panel
1. Open Programs and Features by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Programs, and then clicking Programs and Features.
2. Select a program, and then click Uninstall.
Step 2. Remove Hipmy from the browser: reset browser settings
1. Click Menu
2. Select Settings
3. Click Show advanced settings…
4. Click Reset settings
Additional info: How to reset Google Chrome
1. Click on Help on menu bar
2 Select Troubleshooting information
3. Click Refresh Firefox…
Additional info: How to reset Mozilla Firefox
1. Click Tools
2. Select Internet Options
3. Select Advanced tab
4. Click Reset… button
5. Click Reset
Additional info: How to reset Internet Explorer
Step 3. Scan computer with trusted antimalware scanner
Tested programs that can remove Hipmy: AdwCleaner, Malwarebytes, Spyhunter. AdwCleaner is a free utility, Malwarebytes has 14 day trial, SpyHunter has a free scan module, but to remove virus , you need to purchase the full version.
Instructions for using SpyHunter antimalware
Instructions for using AdwCleaner antimalware
Instruction for Malwarebytes:
Undesired tools can penetrate man’s computer in many methods, trying to trick the user to let harmful software enter the PC. Adware don’t need to try so hard. In fact, the advertising programs are not malicious and can’t be named “viruses”. They are annoying; they make the Web surfing hard as hell, but they cannot cause direct injury to the client’s workstation and the private data. This explains, why adware is spreaded fully legal. Some victims install it personally, from its web site. The most efficient technique is the bundled installation with other toll-free software.
Let’s talk about the additional installation manner. This technique is not difficult: infected files are added to the installation file of free software. Such file cannot be inspected, and its content can’t be seen. The only action that man can perform with this file is to run the installation. Thus, if you will install the program that you searched for, malware will install too. Adware is distributed legally, so, they have to inform you of their installation, and ask for allowance. At the stage of downloading you still have a chance to avoid infection. The opportunity to do so is named “installation for professional users”. The option can be found in a separate box, during installation, where the tool asks you to choose the installation manner between “preferable” and “complex”. The easy technique is that you just click yes button until the installation process will end. If you choose the advanced manner, you will be shown a list of files, prepared to be installed, and will have the chance to decide personally, what to install. Names of installation manners might differ, but the essence is very simple – the criminals are trying to show that it is better to close your eyes and press “Yes”. If you will be aware of the ways that undesired programs use to get into your computer, it may help you to protect your system.
Some visitors want to know for what reason scammers create adware that annoy users so badly, if they can simply publish ads in designated areas? That’s really easy: the cost of the legal advertisement is major and its effectiveness is too poor. The deployment of any ad on any web-page costs lots of money, and the cost increases in direct proportion to the site attendance. Promotional placement of the site in search results of any search engine costs even more. For banners on the websites, the ratio of views to clicks is, at max, 10 to 1. We have to itemize that 10% is the incredibly great result, but usually the count goes on tenths of a percent. Advertisement tool can lead almost all its victims to the specified web-page and it will cost less. Most people do not consider adware harmful, until their PCs are completely clogged, and use infected machines for years, suffering the different problems while surfing the Web, and considering that it’s the usual thing. These customers assure a regular flow of visitors to perilous sites, assisting them to stay afloat for a many years.
If you performed all steps correctly, malware must be deleted at this time, and the only thing left to do is to secure your system from the future viral attacks. Though the anti-virus program is the foundation of your laptop’s protection, but one program isn’t enough. Software don’t make failures, but customers do, and such errors are the only cause of virus infections. There are few rules that you should abide, if you want your workstation to remain safe:
- The anti-viral tool on your laptop always has to be updated to the newest version and enabled. Some adware can ask you to disable the antivirus. It might be made in form of a pop-up window or in different way. Such windows are definitely viral, and you must ignore them.
- Do not ignore the browser hints. Browsers also can recognize the dangerous web-pages, and they perceive when you try to make something suspicious. If your browser notifies you about the unreliability of the page – you shouldn’t go to this site.
- Do not use the services of dangerous web-sites. When we say “unreliable”, we mean any type of websites with pornographic content, web-pages of ForEx brokers and lesser-known websites, which distribute not licensed media-files or defective goods.
- You must watch closely for the installing of any software. EULA is too long, and consists of a lot of useless data, but if you’ll read it – you may know something substantial. If you are installing the licensed program, created by world-known software vendors such as Apple, Piriform or Kaspersky, you can believe in their name. But if you will try to install free software in such manner, you’ll put at risk your workstation and the information kept there. When you install any program, it might give you the choice between a “common” and “for advanced users” type of installing – choose the “advanced” option.
- Be cautious with e-mails. If you have a message that you didn’t wait for, and you don’t know who send it – you should not click on it.
- The copies should be kept on an external media. If the laptop is often attacked by undesired software, the right decision would be to keep the important info on an external media that may help you in the case of highly perilous infection.
If you follow these hints, you might avoid getting any undesired software. If you still have some errors to fix – type the “comments” field and we will reply to you as soon as possible.