Recently we mentioned a virus called Gtfavenue, and in this article we’ll tell you everything that you should know about it. This article includes the best methods to delete Gtfavenue from customer’s PC, as well as from Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, IE, Safari and Opera. This malware has few symptoms: lowered speed of browser’s work, redirections to malicious sites, abundance of pop-ups and unauthorized variation of browser settings.
Gtfavenue adware is the program that is involved solely in promotional activity. After advertising program crawls into the system, it immediately starts to show ads. Redirections, p-ups, viral links, the manipulation with the search results and commercial banners – here’s a full description of its techniques. Search engines do a great job, checking all the web-sites on the Net to let the user see only the safest ones. Web-pages are meticulously checked, and only the most qualitative ones can pass this test. All other websites might be called unsafe, or even perilous. This process is named indexing, and it requires a significant amount of staff and money, as thousands of websites of different grades are created each day, and the new, pages, papers and sectors emerge on the tested websites. However, when the client installs adware, he declines the services of the reputable search engine, and replaces them with adware services. Adware hasn’t enough resources to check the sites like Yahoo does. If you type anything via the infected browser, virus just chooses the random web-site of several hundred that are stored in its memory, and shows it to you. Most often, this website is viral, and has no relation to your request. Gtfavenue shows it on the first place just because the owners of this web-site have made an agreement with the web-criminals, obliging them to provide a certain number of link clicks. Gtfavenue doesn’t need that you will become a regular customer, or have been pleased with its work. It needs you to see as much ads as you can, until you understand that you are deceived.
Step 1. Remove Gtfavenue from Control Panel
1. Open Programs and Features by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Programs, and then clicking Programs and Features.
2. Select a program, and then click Uninstall.
Step 2. Remove Gtfavenue from the browser: reset browser settings
1. Click Menu
2. Select Settings
3. Click Show advanced settings…
4. Click Reset settings
Additional info: How to reset Google Chrome
1. Click on Help on menu bar
2 Select Troubleshooting information
3. Click Refresh Firefox…
Additional info: How to reset Mozilla Firefox
1. Click Tools
2. Select Internet Options
3. Select Advanced tab
4. Click Reset… button
5. Click Reset
Additional info: How to reset Internet Explorer
Step 3. Scan computer with trusted antimalware scanner
Tested programs that can remove Gtfavenue: AdwCleaner, Malwarebytes, Spyhunter. AdwCleaner is a free utility, Malwarebytes has 14 day trial, SpyHunter has a free scan module, but to remove virus , you need to purchase the full version.
Instructions for using SpyHunter antimalware
Instructions for using AdwCleaner antimalware
Instruction for Malwarebytes:
Viruses may infect your machine in many manners, trying to make you to download a harmful file. Commercial software act differently. Officially, the advertising utilities aren’t malicious and can’t be named “viruses”. They can drive you crazy; they make the Web browsing very difficult, but they cannot inflict direct damage to the user’s system and the private files. This is the cause, why advertising programs are spreaded in legal ways. Some people download it by themselves, on the web site. The most common manner is an installation in bundle with useful unpaid programs.
You should know what is the bundled installation technique. The manner is easy: viral files are attached to the installer of the wanted software. Such file cannot be checked, and you can’t see what’s inside. The only action that user can perform with this file is to install it. This means that if customer installs the program that you looked for, virus installs too. Promotional add-ons are spreading legally, so, it is obligatorily for them to notify you of their installation, and ask for permission. When the malware isn’t inside the system the man still has a chance to avoid the problems. “Installation for professional users” is the opportunity to stop the malicious program before it penetrates your computer. The choice can be found in a special window, during installation, where the program asks you to pick the installation manner between “easy” and “for skilled users”. The easy technique lets the malware to choose what to install. And, in the majority of cases, it chooses to install everything. If you pick the second manner, you will see the list of files, prepared to be installed, and will be able to choose personally, which tools to install. Actually, no matter how the installation manners are named – truth is that the swindlers want you to be stupid and follow the instructions. We hope that knowing the methods that viruses use to penetrate your PC, it might help you to avoid infection.
If you want to understand, why hackers are creating advertising programs, and is it profitable, we will explain it. In fact, at its big value, legitimate advertisement brings not many users. The placement of any advertising on any site is worth lots of money, and the price increases in direct proportion to the site attendance. Commercial disposition of the web-site in Google search results is even more expensive. At the same time, this advertising on any website can attract an average of no more than ten percent of all customers which have seen an ad. We have to itemize that 10 to 1 is a phenomenally good outcome, but usually the ratio goes on tenths of a percent. Advertising tool is leading 90% of users to the needed site at lower cost. Most people don’t believe that adware is undesired, until their machines are absolutely clogged, and use infected laptops for years, experiencing significant discomfort while using the Web, and thinking that it’s normal. These people are providing a continuous flow of victims to suspicious sites, allowing them to stay afloat for a many years.
If you executed all steps accurately, malware must be eliminated at this time, and the only thing left to do is to secure your computer from the future viral attacks. Besides the antivirus, there is another thing that might defend your computer and your information against viruses: it’s your own attainments. In generality of cases, the operator is the weakest place of anti-viral system that lets unwanted program to enter the computer. To prevent the infection you have to abide to few rules, so we made a list for you:
- The antivirus on your computer always needs to be properly updated and turned on. Even if you’ll suddenly get a system message with the request to disable an anti-viral software to upgrade anything, you shouldn’t do that. Official programs do not require disabling the anti-virus for their work, so this message is an attempt to break-in.
- Do not ignore the hints of your browser. Internet browsers have their own techniques of malware finding and reaction on customer’s hazardous doings. If your browser notifies you about the peril of a particular website – don’t go to this site.
- Never use the facilities of hazardous sites. These are any sort of sites with services “for adults”, foreign exchange broker’s web-sites and shoddy websites that distribute not licensed media-files or bad-quality goods.
- You have carefully follow the installing of any software. EULA is really boring, and consists of a lot of unnecessary info, but if you’ll inspect it – you might know something important. If you are installing the licensed program, created by famous software creators such as Apple, Skype or Adobe, you can believe in their fame. But if you are installing pirated software in this manner, you’ll endanger your machine and the data stored on it. If during the installing you are given the option between a “common” and “complex” type of installing – pick the “complex” variant.
- Be cautious with e-mail messages. If you got a letter, which you did not expect, and you don’t know who send it – we strongly advise you not to open it.
- The backups should be stored on an external media. If the system is often subjected to attacks of perilous programs, the wisest solution would be to store the important info on an external media, which may be your backup in the case of highly perilous infection.
If you listen to these advices, you will avoid getting any malware. If you think that this guide must include more information or want to report a problem during the elimination of Gtfavenue – make the “comments” box and we will answer you soon.