In this item, we want to tell you about the hazardous adware called Starofferz.com, and help you to uninstall it. The guide includes the easiest methods to eliminate Starofferz.com from your workstation, and from all common browsers. Symptoms of this malware are: slow operation of browser, redirections to untrusted sites, lots of promotional information and unauthorized alteration of browser settings.
The only feature that Starofferz.com advertising extensions can do – is to place ads on each web-page. After the penetration, adware begins to show ads, and makes it in all imaginable methods. Advertising banners, malicious links, redirections, p-ups and the change of the results of search queries – this is a full description of its manners. Some users know that search engines are carefully filtering the web-sites that are shown to the customer. Web-pages are scrupulously tested, and control can be passed only by the best ones. Web-pages, which failed this inspection, can be called “untrusted”. The examination is called indexing, and it requires a huge numbers of people and time, as thousands of sites of varying quality are designed each day, and the new, sectors, articles and pages emerge on the checked sites. However, when the customer installs advertising program, he refuses the services of his search engine, and replaces it with malware. Starofferz.com hasn’t enough resources to index the websites as Google does. If you type anything via the compromised browser, virus just selects the most appropriate web-site of few dozen that are stored in its list, and shows it to you. You have a 99% chance that this web-site is viral, and has no relation to your request. Adware puts it on the first place just because the website owners have paid to the hackers, obliging them to generate a certain number of page visits. Virus isn’t interested in client’s preferences, and pays no attention to what he needs. Adware needs you to pass as much links as it is possible, until you know that you were tricked.
Step 1. Remove Starofferz.com from Control Panel
1. Open Programs and Features by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Programs, and then clicking Programs and Features.
2. Select a program, and then click Uninstall.
Step 2. Remove Starofferz.com from the browser: reset browser settings
1. Click Menu
2. Select Settings
3. Click Show advanced settings…
4. Click Reset settings
Additional info: How to reset Google Chrome
1. Click on Help on menu bar
2 Select Troubleshooting information
3. Click Refresh Firefox…
Additional info: How to reset Mozilla Firefox
1. Click Tools
2. Select Internet Options
3. Select Advanced tab
4. Click Reset… button
5. Click Reset
Additional info: How to reset Internet Explorer
Step 3. Scan computer with trusted antimalware scanner
Tested programs that can remove Starofferz.com: AdwCleaner, Malwarebytes, Spyhunter. AdwCleaner is a free utility, Malwarebytes has 14 day trial, SpyHunter has a free scan module, but to remove virus , you need to purchase the full version.
Instructions for using SpyHunter antimalware
Instructions for using AdwCleaner antimalware
Instruction for Malwarebytes:
Dangerous tools might invade your computer in many methods, trying to trick the customer to download a harmful file. Adware have no need to try so hard. In fact, the advertising programs are not malicious and can’t be called “viruses”. They can annoy user; they make the Web surfing very difficult, but they do not cause direct damage to your computer and the data, stored on it. In this regard, advertising tools are spreaded completely legal. Lots of victims install it personally, from its web-site. The most effective manner is the download in bundle with useful unpaid tools.
The method of bundled download must be discussed separately, because it’s the very effective method of infection by malware and redirects, as well as by all types of fake browsers and extensions. This technique is simple: viral files are attached to the installer of the needed software. The file cannot be opened, and you can’t see what you are installing. The only action that man can perform with this file is to install it. This means that if man installs the wanted program, malware will install too. Advertising programs are distributed in legal ways, so, it is obligatorily for them to inform the customer of their installation, and ask for permission. When the malware isn’t inside the system the user still has a chance to avoid it. The opportunity to do so is named “installation for experienced users”. The option comes in a special window, during installation, where you are asked to pick the installation manner between “recommended” and “for professional users”. The easy method is that you just click OK button until the installation process will end. If you pick the advanced way, you will see all files, ready for the installation, and will have the chance to choose personally, what to install. In fact, it doesn’t matter how the setup manners are named – essence is that the hackers want you to be stupid and follow their instructions. If you will understand the manners, which viruses use to break into your machine, it may help you to protect your PC.
Many visitors want to know for what reason criminals create advertising programs that annoy users so badly, if they can simply put ads in designated areas? Actually, at its high price, legal advertisement brings too few users. You can’t simply put the advertisement on top of the famous website, because it is really expensive. Google, Yahoo and Bing propose more targeted advertising techniques, but they can’t are not even close to adware’s efficiency. At the same time, this advertisement on the web-page attracts no more than 10% of all customers that have seen an ad. We have to itemize that ten percent is the incredibly great outcome, but generally the count is between 1 and 0.01%. Adware can redirect almost all victims to the needed page at lower cost. Many users don’t consider adware dangerous, until their machines are absolutely dead, and use those machines for years, suffering the great discomfort during the use of Web, and thinking that it’s OK. Such customers provide a regular flow of victims to suspicious web-sites, helping them to stay afloat for a long time.
If you fulfilled all steps properly, virus must be removed at this time, and now you should secure your system from viral threats. Except the antivirus, there is one thing that will shield your computer and your information against unwanted undesired programs: it’s your own knowledge. Programs don’t allow mistakes, but users do, and such errors are the only cause of malware infections. To avoid the infection you need to abide to some advices, so we created a list for you:
- Anti-viral tool is the frontline of your PC’s security, so it must be working and updated. Some adware might ask you to disable the anti-virus. It might be made in form of a pop-up window or in other way. You must not abide to suchlike requests.
- Do not neglect the browser prompts. Browsers have really good ways of malware tracking and opposition against customer’s dangerous doings. If your browser warns you that the web-site is perilous – don’t go to this site.
- You should avoid doing any actions on the suspicious websites. By the word “suspicious”, we mean all the types of sites with X-rated content, ForEx broker’s web-sites and lesser-known web-pages that spread pirated media-files or low-quality products.
- Always closely follow the installation of all programs. License agreement is quite annoying, and contains a bunch of useless information, but there may be something important. If we’re talking about the paid program, made by internationally renowned software developers such as Kaspersky, Piriform or Microsoft, you can rely on their standing. But the unknown developers always need resources, and they may consent to bundle their programs with viruses. When you install any tool, it might show you the choice between a “simple” and “complex” way of installing – choose the “advanced” option.
- Be careful with e-mail messages. If you receive a letter, which you did not wait for, and you don’t know who send it – you should not click on it.
- The backups must be kept on an external drive. If the workstation is often subjected to attacks of adware, the right solution would be to keep the significant files on an external media, which will assist you in the case of particularly heavy infection.
If you adhere to these tips, you can avoid getting any viral threat. If some of your requests are still unanswered – just comment this article and we will help you ASAP.