Lately our attention was drawn by Pagesnews.org virus, and now we’ll review it. This item describes the easiest methods to eliminate Pagesnews.org from the laptop, as well as from Opera, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, Google Chrome and IE. If the browser has started to act slower than usual, if ads emerge on each site, homepage and search engines have changed – on this page you will find a solution to your problem.
Pagesnews.org adware is the tool that is involved exclusively in promotional doings. After advertising program breaks into your workstation, it immediately starts to show ads. Viral links, commercial banners, p-ups, redirections and the manipulation with the search results – here’s a brief list of its manners. Search engines do an important job: they check all the web-sites on the Net to let you see only the best ones. Each website is carefully checked, and test can be passed only by those ones that meet all the requirements. Web-pages that failed the test, automatically fall into the category of “untrusted”. This examination is called indexing, and the amount of resources that is required to proceed it is really huge, because tens of thousands of websites of varying grades are designed each day, and the new, pages, sections and papers emerge on the sites, which are already tested. But, when the customer installs adware, he refuses the advantages of his search engine, and replaces it with virus. Virus has neither the money nor the employees to test the websites as Google does. If you enter something on the compromised browser, adware simply selects the site of several hundred that are stored in its memory, and shows it to you. Most often, this webpage is viral, and has no relation to your request. Virus puts it to you only because the site owners have made an agreement with the scammers, obliging them to provide a certain amount of link clicks. Malware doesn’t care about user’s preferences, and pays no attention to his needs. Malware wants you to see as much pop-ups as you can, until you know that you were tricked.
Step 1. Remove Pagesnews.org from Control Panel
1. Open Programs and Features by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Programs, and then clicking Programs and Features.
2. Select a program, and then click Uninstall.
Step 2. Remove Pagesnews.org from the browser: reset browser settings
1. Click Menu
2. Select Settings
3. Click Show advanced settings…
4. Click Reset settings
Additional info: How to reset Google Chrome
1. Click on Help on menu bar
2 Select Troubleshooting information
3. Click Refresh Firefox…
Additional info: How to reset Mozilla Firefox
1. Click Tools
2. Select Internet Options
3. Select Advanced tab
4. Click Reset… button
5. Click Reset
Additional info: How to reset Internet Explorer
Step 3. Scan computer with trusted antimalware scanner
Tested programs that can remove Pagesnews.org: AdwCleaner, Malwarebytes, Spyhunter. AdwCleaner is a free utility, Malwarebytes has 14 day trial, SpyHunter has a free scan module, but to remove virus , you need to purchase the full version.
Instructions for using SpyHunter antimalware
Instructions for using AdwCleaner antimalware
Instruction for Malwarebytes:
Malware might penetrate your laptop in many manners, in attempts to trick you to install a malicious file. Adware act differently. Officially, the advertisement tools don’t inflict direct damage to man’s workstation and can’t be named “viruses”. They can irritate you; they interfere to browse the Net, but they do not inflict direct harm to your PC and the private information. In this regard, advertising programs are distributed by legal methods. Some customers install it by themselves, after they read and confirm the license agreement. The most common way is an installation in bundle with useful unpaid programs.
The manner of bundled installation has to be discussed separately, because it is the very common technique of penetration by viruses and redirects, as well as by all kinds of fake browsers and tools. This way is plain: harmful files are attached to the installation file of the needed program. This file can’t be inspected, and you can’t see what you are installing. Installation is the only process that man can perform and he, in most cases, does it. This means that if user installs the needed tool, virus installs too. Adware is spreading in legal ways, so, it is necessary for them to inform the customer of their actions, and ask for permission. As long as Pagesnews.org has not sneaked into the computer the man still has some chances to avoid infection. “Advanced installation” is the chance to intercept the virus before it penetrates your machine. The option comes in a separate window, during installation, where you are asked to select the installation method between “preferable” and “complex”. The first technique is that you will simply click install button until the installation procedure will end. If you pick the advanced technique, you will be shown a list of programs, ready for the installation, and will have the ability to choose personally, what to install. In fact, no matter how the installation techniques are named – core is that the swindlers want you to be dumb and follow the instructions. We hope that understanding the ways that viruses use to infect your computer, it might help you to protect your machine.
Some visitors want to know why people create advertising tools that irritate users so badly, if they can simply publish ads in specially created places? This question is simple to answer: the value of the legitimate ads is major and its effectiveness is too poor. Man cannot just locate the ad on the popular web-site, because it is really expensive. Google and Yahoo propose more targeted advertising methods, but they cannot compare with adware’s productivity. At the same time, this advertisement on the site can attract an average of no more than 10% of all customers which have seen a banner. We want to point out that 10% is the incredibly great outcome, but usually the count is between 1 and 0.01%. Advertising tool can redirect almost all victims to the needed website and it will cost less. Many users don’t consider adware hazardous, until their computers are totally dead, and use those PCs for years, experiencing different issues while browsing the Internet, and thinking that this is normal. Such people are providing a permanent flow of victims to untrusted websites, assisting them to work for a long time.
If you performed all steps properly, virus must be uninstalled for now, and the only thing left to do is to defend your system from the future viral attacks. You know that the anti-virus tool is the foundation of your system’s security, but one tool isn’t enough. In generality of cases, the customer is the weak point of anti-viral system, which invites malware to break into the machine. There are few rules that you should know, if you want your laptop to be protected:
- Antivirus is the frontline of your system’s security, and it must be turned on and updated. Some malware can ask you to turn the antivirus off. It may be made in form of the system message or in different manner. Such requests are definitely viral, and you must disregard them.
- You shouldn’t neglect the hints of your browser. Browsers can easily identify the dangerous websites, and they perceive when you try to make something suspicious. If the browser gives you a warning you about the unreliability of the web-site – don’t go to this site.
- Client should avoid making anything on the untrusted web-pages. By the word “malicious”, we mean all the types of web-sites with pornographic content, web-pages of foreign exchange brokers and lesser-known sites that distribute not licensed media-files or substandard goods.
- You need to carefully supervise the installing of any software. License agreement is too long, and consists of a bunch of useless data, but there may be something useful. If you are installing the worthy program, made by prominent software makers such as Adobe, Kaspersky or Apple, you can rely on their reputation. But the young developers always need resources, and they may agree to bundle their programs with viruses. When you install any software, it may show you the choice between a “simple” and “complex” manner of installing – pick the second option.
- Be cautious with e-mails. If you have a message that you did not wait for, and you do not know who send it – you shouldn’t open it.
- The backups should be stored on an external hard drive. If the laptop is often attacked by viruses, the rightest choice would be to keep the important information on an external media, which will become your backup in the case of really hazardous infection.
If you adhere to all these advices, you might avoid getting any unwanted programs. If you can include something to this guide or want to get rid of an issue during the uninstalling of Pagesnews.org – make the “comments” field and we will help you soon.