In this item, we will review the malicious adware called MyMemory, and help you to delete it. The article includes the most comfortable and effective techniques to uninstall MyMemory from customer’s workstation, and from Safari, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Opera. Symptoms of this adware are: redirections to suspicious web-sites, slow work of browser, lots of ads and unauthorized change of browser settings.
The only feature that MyMemory adware can perform – is to show ads. After contact with the customers’ laptop, advertising program begins to generate ads, and performs it in all imaginable ways. Pop-ups, malicious links, the manipulation with the results of search queries, redirects and advertising banners – here’s a brief list of its manners. As you know, search engines are carefully checking the web-sites that are displayed to users. Each page is thoroughly checked, and control can be passed only by the best ones. Web-sites, which don’t pass the test, automatically fall into the category of “dangerous”. The process is named indexing, and it needs a great amount of staff and time, because thousands of sites of varying quality are created each day, and the new, partitions, pages and papers appear on the tested web-sites. The installation of such virus, in fact, declines all advantages of good search engines, and customer’s computer becomes completely vulnerable to all threats. Adware hasn’t enough resources to index the web-sites as Google does. When you type anything in the infected browser, malware just picks the most appropriate web-page of few thousand that are kept in its list, and puts it on the first place. User has almost 100% probability that this website is viral, and has no relation to the thing that you wanted to find. Malware shows it on the first place just because the owners of this website have signed an agreement with the swindlers, obliging them to generate a certain amount of link clicks. Adware doesn’t want you to be a regular customer, or to be pleased by its job. Adware wants you to see as much banners as you can, until you realize that you are tricked.
Step 1. Remove MyMemory from Control Panel
1. Open Programs and Features by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Programs, and then clicking Programs and Features.
2. Select a program, and then click Uninstall.
Step 2. Remove MyMemory from the browser: reset browser settings
1. Click Menu
2. Select Settings
3. Click Show advanced settings…
4. Click Reset settings
Additional info: How to reset Google Chrome
1. Click on Help on menu bar
2 Select Troubleshooting information
3. Click Refresh Firefox…
Additional info: How to reset Mozilla Firefox
1. Click Tools
2. Select Internet Options
3. Select Advanced tab
4. Click Reset… button
5. Click Reset
Additional info: How to reset Internet Explorer
Step 3. Scan computer with trusted antimalware scanner
Tested programs that can remove MyMemory: AdwCleaner, Malwarebytes, Spyhunter. AdwCleaner is a free utility, Malwarebytes has 14 day trial, SpyHunter has a free scan module, but to remove virus , you need to purchase the full version.
Instructions for using SpyHunter antimalware
Instructions for using AdwCleaner antimalware
Instruction for Malwarebytes:
Viruses can invade customer’s machine in lots of ways, in attempts to force the operator to install a viral file. Advertising software do it another way. Officially, adware don’t cause direct damage to your system and cannot be called “viruses”. They are annoying; they interfere to browse the Web, yet they do not cause direct injury to your laptop and the private information. In this regard, advertising software are spreaded in legal ways. Some users download it by themselves, from its web-site. The most effective manner is an installation in one package with other free tools.
The way of bundled download should be reviewed separately, because it’s the very popular cause of penetration by adware and redirects, as well as by all types of fake browsers and tools. This method is plain: virus files are added to the installation file of the needed software. This file is completely closed, and you can’t see what you are downloading. The only thing that victim can perform with such file is to run the installation. It means that if you will install the program that you searched for, virus installs too. Even if adware causes some uncomfortable effects, it is totally legal, since it doesn’t harm your PC and the files, kept on it. When the virus isn’t inside the machine the user still has few chances to avoid infection. The opportunity to do so is called “installation for experienced users”. During the installation process you can choose in which manner you want to install the program. It may be recommended or advanced. The easy technique lets the malware decide what to install. And, most often, it chooses to install everything. If you pick the second method, you will see all tools, ready to be installed, and will be able to choose personally, which tools to install. Names of installation methods might differ, but the point is very plain – the hackers are trying to convince you that the best way is to close your eyes and click “OK”. If you will know the ways, which suspicious programs use to penetrate your computer, it may assist you to avoid infection.
Many readers are asking; why criminals make advertising programs that irritate customers so much, if they can just put banners in designated places? Actually, at its high price, legitimate advertising attracts too few users. The placement of any advertisement on any site costs the money, and the value increases in direct proportion to the value of the site itself. Advertising placement of the site in Google search results costs much more. At the same time, this advertisement on any website can attract no more than ten percent of all users which have seen the advertisement. We should itemize that 10 percent is the incredibly good outcome, but commonly the ratio is between 1 and 0.01%. Advertising program is leading almost all customers to the specified site at lower cost. Most users don’t consider adware hazardous, until their PCs are totally clogged, and use these laptops for years, experiencing different problems when browsing the Internet, and considering that it’s normal. Suchlike people assure a permanent flow of visitors to dangerous websites, helping them to exist for a long time.
If you carried out all steps correctly, adware must be eliminated for now, and now you should defend your PC from viral threats. Though the anti-virus program is the foundation of protection for your computer, but one software isn’t enough. Programs don’t make mistakes, but people do, and such errors are the only cause of virus infections. There are few rules that you should abide, if you want your laptop to be safe:
- The anti-virus on your machine must always be properly updated and turned on. Even if you’ll receive a system message with the request to disable an antivirus to download some software, you should not do that. Worthy tools do not require disabling the antivirus, and the message is try to infect your system.
- You should not neglect the hints of your browser. Internet browsers have their own manners of malware tracking and prevention of your perilous actions. If the browser notifies you that a particular site is possibly malicious – don’t go to this site.
- Customer should avoid doing any actions on the perilous web-sites. These are all the types of web-sites with content “for adults”, web-pages of foreign exchange brokers and cheapjack web-sites, which spread free software or substandard goods.
- Always watch carefully for the installation of all programs. EULA is too long, and consists of a bunch of useless information, but if you’ll inspect it – you might find something useful. If you are installing the worthy software, developed by prominent software creators such as Apple, Piriform or Skype, you can trust in their name. But if you are going to install free programs in similar way, you will endanger your workstation and the files stored on it. If during the installing you are given the choice between a “simple” and “complex” type of installing – pick the “advanced” variant.
- Be careful with e-mails. If you got a message, which you didn’t expect, and you do not know the sender – it is better not to click on it.
- Always save important files on an external drive. If the laptop is often subjected to attacks of adware, the right choice would be to store the important data on an external media that might help you if the machine will be critically contaminated.
If you follow these hints, you will avoid getting any viral threat. If some of your questions are still unanswered – make the “comments” box and we will answer you as soon as possible.