In this article, we will review the perilous virus called LuckyStarting, and help you to eliminate it. This article includes the simplest ways to remove LuckyStarting from customer’s system, as well as from all common browsers. Symptoms of this malware are: unauthorized modification of browser settings, abundance of promotional content, decreased speed of browser’s work and redirections to suspicious web-pages.
LuckyStarting adware is the program that is involved exclusively in promotional doings. After contact with the customers’ machine, adware begins to show hype, and performs it in all imaginable manners. P-ups, redirections, the manipulation with the search results, viral links and commercial banners – this is a short list of its manners. Search engines do a great job: they check all the pages on the Web to let the user see only the most dependable ones. Sites are meticulously tested, and test can be passed only by those ones that are completely good. Web-pages, which don’t pass the inspection, can be named “dangerous”. This examination is named indexing, and it needs a huge amount of staff and time, as tens of thousands of sites of varying quality are created daily, and the new, sections, pages and papers emerge on the checked sites. However, when the customer installs LuckyStarting, he declines the services of the reputable search engine, and replaces it with malware. Advertising program hasn’t enough resources to check the websites as search engines do. If you type a search query in the infected browser, adware simply selects the random web-page of few hundred that are stored in its memory, and puts it on the first place. User has almost 100% chance that this website is malicious, and isn’t related to your request. Virus shows it on the first position only because the owners of this site have signed an agreement with the hackers, obliging them to make a certain amount of page visits. Adware isn’t interested in customer’s preferences, and pays no attention to his needs. Adware wants you to see as much banners as you can, until you realize that you were tricked.
Step 1. Remove LuckyStarting from Control Panel
1. Open Programs and Features by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Programs, and then clicking Programs and Features.
2. Select a program, and then click Uninstall.
Step 2. Remove LuckyStarting from the browser: reset browser settings
1. Click Menu
2. Select Settings
3. Click Show advanced settings…
4. Click Reset settings
Additional info: How to reset Google Chrome
1. Click on Help on menu bar
2 Select Troubleshooting information
3. Click Refresh Firefox…
Additional info: How to reset Mozilla Firefox
1. Click Tools
2. Select Internet Options
3. Select Advanced tab
4. Click Reset… button
5. Click Reset
Additional info: How to reset Internet Explorer
Step 3. Scan computer with trusted antimalware scanner
Tested programs that can remove LuckyStarting: AdwCleaner, Malwarebytes, Spyhunter. AdwCleaner is a free utility, Malwarebytes has 14 day trial, SpyHunter has a free scan module, but to remove virus , you need to purchase the full version.
Instructions for using SpyHunter antimalware
Instructions for using AdwCleaner antimalware
Instruction for Malwarebytes:
Unwanted programs can get onto your PC in lots of ways, in attempts to trick you to let virus penetrate the system. Adware do it another way. Officially, the advertising programs are not harmful and can’t be called “viruses”. They can drive you crazy; they interfere to use the Web, although they can’t cause direct damage to your workstation and the personal information. This explains, why adware is spreaded by legal methods. Many people download it by themselves, on the web page. The most popular manner is the download in one package with other free tools.
You should understand what is the additional installation method. The manner is plain: infected files are attached to the installation file of free software. The file can’t be inspected, and you can’t see what you are installing. Installation is the only action that man can do and he, in most cases, does this. Thus, if victim installs the software that you wanted to, adware will install too. Even if adware causes some inconveniences, it is completely lawful, because it doesn’t spoil your PC and the data, kept on it. Until the virus has not crept into the PC you still have few chances to avoid the problems. “Advanced installation” is the chance to intercept the malicious program until it penetrates your computer. It comes in a separate box, during installation, where the installer asks you to choose the installation process type between “easy” and “complex”. The first manner lets the malware decide what to install. And, in the majority of cases, it chooses to install all trash that is there. If you pick the second method, you will see the list of programs, ready for the installation, and will have the ability to decide personally, what to install. Names of installation methods might be different, but the core is very plain – the web are trying to show that it is better to stop thinking and press “Install”. If you will understand the ways, which adware uses to penetrate your machine, it might help you to avoid infection.
If you want to understand, why scammers are making adware, and are they profitable, we can tell you. That’s really easy: the cost of the legal advertising is large and its performance is too poor. The disposition of any advertisement on any website costs the money, and the cost grows in direct proportion to the value of the site itself. Google and Yahoo provide more complex advertising strategies, but they aren’t as productive as LuckyStarting. At the same time, this banner on the web-site can attract no more than ten percent of all visitors that have seen an ad. We will point out that 10 to 1 is the unbelievably good outcome, but generally the ratio goes on tenths of a percent. Advertisement program can lead 90% of victims to the needed web-site at lower cost. The majority of users do not understand that adware is dangerous, until their computers are completely clogged, and use these machines for years, having different problems when browsing the Internet, and considering that this is normal. Such users are ensuring a continuous flow of visitors to suspicious websites, helping them to work for a many years.
If you fulfilled all steps correctly, adware must be eliminated for now, and the only thing left to do is to shield your system from the future viral attacks. Besides the AV-tool, there is another thing that may defend your PC and your information against viruses: it’s your own attainments. Programs don’t make mistakes, but users do, and such failures are the only cause of adware infections. There are some rules that you should abide, if you want your PC to be safe:
- Anti-virus is the frontline of your PC’s protection, so it should be enabled and updated. Some malware can ask you to disable the anti-viral tool. It might come in form of the system message or in other way. Such windows are completely viral, and you should ignore them.
- You shouldn’t disregard the browser hints. Internet browsers can easily recognize the hazardous web-sites, and they understand when you are going to make something suspicious. If your browser warns you that a particular page is dangerous – don’t go to this site.
- Don’t use the services of hazardous websites. These are any kind of websites with X-rated content, foreign exchange broker’s sites and third-class web-pages that spread pirated media-files or substandard goods.
- You have closely supervise the installation of any programs. EULA is too massive, and contains a bunch of useless information, but if you’ll read it – you may know something important. If you are installing the worthy program, made by reputed software makers such as Piriform, Microsoft or Skype, you can rely on their name. But if you are installing free programs in this way, you’ll jeopardize your laptop and the files stored on it. When you install any software, it may give you the choice between a “recommended” and “for advanced users” manner of installation – choose the “complex” variant.
- Be cautious with e-mails. If you got a letter that you didn’t wait for, and you don’t know the sender – we strongly advise you not to open it.
- The backups must be kept on an external media. If the PC is often attacked by malware, the wisest solution would be to keep the significant data on an external media that will become your backup in the case of particularly heavy infection.
These tips are simple, but the fruit of adherence to them is priceless. If some of your questions are still unanswered – just comment this article and we will answer you soon.