Recently our attention was drawn by a virus called Funny Collection, and today we’ll explain you everything that you should know about it. This item describes the easiest methods to uninstall Funny Collection from your machine, as well as from Internet Explorer, Safari, Google Chrome, Opera and Mozilla Firefox. Symptoms of this virus are: lots of ads, redirections to suspicious web-sites, slow work of browser and unauthorized change of browser settings.
Funny Collection adware is the program that is involved exclusively in promotional activity. If adware crawls into user’s workstation, it immediately begins to generate advertising. Pop-ups, the manipulation with the results of search queries, redirects, advertising banners and malicious links – it’s a brief description of its techniques. Search engines do a great job: they check all the sites on the Net to let the user see only the best ones. Each site is thoroughly tested, and test may be passed only by the best ones. Sites that failed the test, can be named “malicious”. The test is called indexing, and the amount of resources that is needed to proceed it is really great, because tens of thousands of sites of different grades are made each day, and the new, papers, partitions and pages emerge on the tested sites. However, when the man installs Funny Collection, he refuses all features of his search engine, and replaces it with adware. Advertising program hasn’t enough resources to index the websites as Yahoo does. If you enter anything in the compromised browser, the unwanted program just selects the most appropriate web-site of several dozen that are stored in its memory, and shows it to you. Customer has a 99% chance that this web-site is viral, and has no relation to your request. Malware shows it to you just because the owners of this web-site have paid to the hackers, obliging them to generate a certain amount of link clicks. Malware does not expect you to be a regular client, or to be pleased with its job. Funny Collection will force you see as much ads as you can, until you realize that you were tricked.
Step 1. Remove Funny Collection from Control Panel
1. Open Programs and Features by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Programs, and then clicking Programs and Features.
2. Select a program, and then click Uninstall.
Step 2. Remove Funny Collection from the browser: reset browser settings
1. Click Menu
2. Select Settings
3. Click Show advanced settings…
4. Click Reset settings
Additional info: How to reset Google Chrome
1. Click on Help on menu bar
2 Select Troubleshooting information
3. Click Refresh Firefox…
Additional info: How to reset Mozilla Firefox
1. Click Tools
2. Select Internet Options
3. Select Advanced tab
4. Click Reset… button
5. Click Reset
Additional info: How to reset Internet Explorer
Step 3. Scan computer with trusted antimalware scanner
Tested programs that can remove Funny Collection: AdwCleaner, Malwarebytes, Spyhunter. AdwCleaner is a free utility, Malwarebytes has 14 day trial, SpyHunter has a free scan module, but to remove virus , you need to purchase the full version.
Instructions for using SpyHunter antimalware
Instructions for using AdwCleaner antimalware
Instruction for Malwarebytes:
Harmful tools can infect man’s PC in lots of ways, in attempts to force you to let virus enter the PC. Commercial programs don’t need to try so hard. Officially, adware are not malicious and cannot be named “viruses”. They can irritate you; they make the Web browsing hard as hell, although they cannot cause direct harm to the client’s computer and the data, stored on it. This is the reason, why adware is distributed fully legal. Lots of users download it personally, from its web page. The most efficient way is the bundled download with other free software.
The manner of bundled distribution has to be discussed severally, since it is the most common way of penetration by malware and hijackers, as well as by all sorts of counterfeit browsers and add-ons. The method is plain: harmful files are attached to the.Exe file of toll-free tool. Such file cannot be inspected, and you can’t see what’s inside. The only thing that man can do with this file is to install it. Thus, if user installs the needed tool, malware will install too. Promotional programs are spreading legally, so, they need to inform the user about their actions, and ask for allowance. Until the virus has not crawled onto the system you still have some chances to avoid it. The opportunity to do so is named “installation for professional users”. The option comes in a special box, during installation, where you are asked to pick the installation method between “preferable” and “complex”. The first method lets the adware decide what to install. And, in the majority of cases, it decides to install everything. If you choose the second manner, you will see all tools, ready to be installed, and will have the ability to choose personally, which tools to install. Names of installation ways may differ, but the essence is always the same – the criminals want to urge you that it is better to stop thinking and click “Yes”. We hope that knowing the methods, which malicious programs use to infect your PC, it may help you to avoid infection.
Many users want to know for what reason scammers make adware that irritate users so much, if they can easily publish advertisements in specially created areas? In fact, at its high value, legal advertisement attracts too few customers. Man can’t simply put the advertisement on top of the popular web-site, because it is really expensive. Google, Yahoo and Bing propose more targeted advertising methods, but they aren’t as efficient as adware. According to the statistics, this banner on any web-page attracts an average of no more than ten percent of all visitors that have seen an ad. We want to precise that 10 to 1 is the unbelievably good outcome, but generally the ratio goes on tenths of a percent. Adware can lead 100% of customers to the needed page and it will cost less. Usually, customers don’t understand that adware is undesired, until their PCs are absolutely dead, and use these computers for years, experiencing different issues during the use of Internet, and thinking that this is OK. Suchlike users are ensuring a regular flow of victims to untrusted web-sites, helping them to work for a long time.
Now, since Funny Collection is removed, you should understand how to avoid such threats for a long time. Besides the anti-virus, there is another thing that will protect your machine and your files against unwanted undesired software: it’s your own attainments. Programs don’t make failures, but users do, and these failures are the only cause of adware infections. There are few rules that you should know, if you want to keep your laptop protected:
- The antivirus on your computer should always be updated to the newest version and enabled. Even if you will suddenly see the pop-up message with the request to disable an anti-viral tool to install anything, you should not do that. Official software species do not require disabling the anti-viral software, and this message is try to break-in.
- Do not ignore the advices of your browser. Internet browsers have their own ways of adware finding and reaction on operator’s hazardous doings. If your browser tells you about the unreliability of some website – you shouldn’t go to this site.
- You should avoid making anything on the dangerous sites. These are any sort of web-sites with pornographic content, foreign exchange broker’s websites and lesser-known web-pages that distribute pirated media-files or bad-quality products.
- You must watch closely for the installation of all programs. EULA is quite boring, and contains a lot of unnecessary data, but there may be something important. If we’re talking about the good tool, created by reputed software makers such as Apple, Skype or Piriform, you can trust in their reputation. But the junior developers spend all time in search of funds, and they often accept to bundle their programs with malware. When you install any tool, it could give you the option between a “simple” and “complex” way of installing – pick the second option.
- Be cautious with e-mail messages. If you receive a message that you didn’t wait for, and you do not know who send it – it is advised not to open it.
- Always store important information on an external drive. If your workstation is often subjected to attacks of viruses, the rightest choice would be to store the important data on an external media that may assist you in the case of highly hazardous infection.
These hints are simple, but the fruit of adherence to them is priceless. If some of your requests are still unanswered – just comment this article and we will reply to you soon.