This week we mentioned Crusader virus, and today we’ll review it. This guide describes the most comfortable and efficient techniques to remove Crusader from the PC, as well as from all popular browsers. If the browser has started to behave strangely, if you see an advertisement on every page, start page and search engines were changed – on this page you will find a solution to your issue.
The only feature that Crusader adware can perform – is to show ads. After the penetration, advertising program starts to generate pop-ups, and performs it in all imaginable methods. Viral links, redirects, advertising banners, pop-ups and the change of the results of search queries – here’s a full description of its techniques. Search engines do a great job, checking all the web-sites on the Internet to show the user only the most reliable ones. Websites are thoroughly tested, and test can be passed only by those ones that are completely good. Sites that failed the inspection, can be named “untrusted”. The examination is called indexing, and it needs a significant amount of staff and money, as tens of thousands of sites of varying grades are produced each day, and the new, pages, articles and sectors appear on the checked web-sites. However, when the user installs adware, he refuses all services of the reputable search engine, and replaces them with viral services. Adware has neither the money nor the staff to check the sites like Yahoo does. When you enter anything in the infected browser, the unwanted software simply selects the random web-site of several thousand that are stored in its memory, and shows it to you. You have a 99% probability that this website is dangerous, and isn’t related to the thing that you need to find. Virus shows it on the first place just because the owners of this site have paid to the makers of Crusader, obliging them to provide a certain amount of website views. Adware is not interested in client’s preferences, and pays no attention to his wishes. It will make you click as much links as it is possible, until you realize that you were deceived.
Step 1. Remove Crusader from Control Panel
1. Open Programs and Features by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Programs, and then clicking Programs and Features.
2. Select a program, and then click Uninstall.
Step 2. Remove Crusader from the browser: reset browser settings
1. Click Menu
2. Select Settings
3. Click Show advanced settings…
4. Click Reset settings
Additional info: How to reset Google Chrome
1. Click on Help on menu bar
2 Select Troubleshooting information
3. Click Refresh Firefox…
Additional info: How to reset Mozilla Firefox
1. Click Tools
2. Select Internet Options
3. Select Advanced tab
4. Click Reset… button
5. Click Reset
Additional info: How to reset Internet Explorer
Step 3. Scan computer with trusted antimalware scanner
Tested programs that can remove Crusader: AdwCleaner, Malwarebytes, Spyhunter. AdwCleaner is a free utility, Malwarebytes has 14 day trial, SpyHunter has a free scan module, but to remove virus , you need to purchase the full version.
Instructions for using SpyHunter antimalware
Instructions for using AdwCleaner antimalware
Instruction for Malwarebytes:
Suspicious programs can penetrate your machine in various methods, trying to deceive the customer to let harmful software enter the system. Adware act differently. Officially, the advertisement utilities aren’t harmful and can’t be called “viruses”. They are annoying; they make the Internet surfing hard as hell, although they can’t cause any harm to the victim’s PC and the personal information. This is the cause, why adware is distributed absolutely legal. Many victims download it by themselves, on the website. The most efficient manner is the bundled download with other toll-free programs.
The last method must be inspected singly, as it’s the most efficient way of infection by adware and redirects, as well as by all kinds of fake browsers and add-ons. The technique is easy: harmful files are attached to the.Exe file of the needed software. This file is completely closed, and its content can’t be seen. The only thing that user can do with such file is to install it. It means that if user installs the software that you wanted to, adware will install too. Advertising tools are distributed legally, so, it is necessary for them to inform the user about their installation, and ask for allowance. Until adware has not crept onto the PC you still have a chance to avoid the problems. This chance is named “installation for experienced users”. During the installation process you can choose in which manner you want to install the program. It may be recommended or advanced. The easy manner means that you will simply click install button until the installation procedure will end. If you choose the advanced way, you will see all programs, prepared for the installation, and will have the opportunity to choose personally, what to install. Names of installation techniques may differ, but the essence is always the same – the hackers want to urge you that the best way is to stop thinking and press “Yes”. If you will be aware of the manners that adware uses to infiltrate your machine, it may assist you to avoid infection.
Some customers are wondering; why scammers make adware that irritate users so much, if they can easily publish banners in designated areas? Actually, at its big value, legitimate advertisement attracts not many users. Man can’t just put the advertisement on the reputable site, because it will cost a lot. Commercial deployment of the site in search results of any search engine costs even more. At the same time, this advertising on any website can attract an average of no more than 10% of all visitors which have seen it. We have to point out that 10% is the unbelievably great result, but usually the count goes on tenths of a percent. Advertisement tool is leading almost all customers to the needed site and it will cost less. Usually, customers do not believe that adware is unwanted, until their machines are totally dead, and use infected computers for years, having different problems during the use of Internet, and thinking that this is the usual thing. These users are providing a regular flow of victims to untrusted web-pages, allowing them to exist for a long time.
Now, if malware is uninstalled, you should understand how to protect your computer from viruses for a long time. Though the AV program is the groundwork of your machine’s defense, but one program is not enough. In most cases, the user is the weakest point of security system that lets the virus to crawl into the PC. There are some rules that you should abide, if you want your workstation to be protected:
- Anti-viral software is the frontline of your machine’s security, so it must be decent and updated. Some adware might ask you to disable the antivirus. It might be shown in form of the system message or in other way. You must not listen to such requests.
- Do not ignore the browser prompts. Internet browsers have really nice techniques of malware tracking and reaction on operator’s perilous doings. If the browser notifies you about the unreliability of some site – you shouldn’t go to this site.
- Do not use the facilities of perilous web-pages. These are any type of sites with X-rated content, ForEx broker’s web-sites and third-class sites that distribute not licensed media-files or substandard goods.
- Always closely supervise the installing of any tools. EULA is quite boring, and consists of a lot of useless info, but there may be something substantial. If we’re talking about the licensed tool, created by world-known software vendors such as Adobe, Apple or Skype, you can rely on their reputation. But the unknown developers always need money, and they often accept to spread adware via their own software. If during the installation you are given the option between a “common” and “for advanced users” manner of installation – pick the second option.
- E-mail is really convenient method for web-criminals to distribute adware. If you gain a message, which you didn’t expect, and you do not know who send it – we strongly advise you not to click on it.
- Always store significant data on an external media. If your machine is often attacked by adware, the rightest decision would be to keep the significant information on an external hard disk, which may help you in the case of really dangerous infection.
If you listen to these hints, you might avoid getting any viruses. If some of your questions are still unanswered – type the “comments” box and we will answer you as soon as possible.