This week our attention was drawn by Cleanserp.net virus, and now we’ll review it. The article includes the best manners to delete Cleanserp.net from customer’s computer, and from Opera, Safari, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. This virus has few symptoms: decreased speed of browser’s work, abundance of ads, redirections to unknown web-sites and unauthorized change of browser settings.
Cleanserp.net adware is the tool that is engaged exclusively in advertising doings. After contact with the user’s computer, Cleanserp.net starts to generate pop-ups, and makes it in all possible methods. P-ups, redirections, malicious links, the change of the results of search queries and advertising banners – here’s a short list of its methods. As you know, search engines are carefully checking the web-sites that are shown to the user. Sites are thoroughly tested, and control can be passed only by the best ones. Web-pages, which do not pass this test, can be named “malicious”. The process is called indexing, and the amount of resources that is required to perform it is really great, as tens of thousands of sites of different grades are created every day, and the new, pages, sections and items appear on the tested websites. The installation of advertising program, in fact, refuses all advantages of famous search engines, and customer’s browser becomes completely vulnerable to all threats. Advertising program has neither the money nor the staff to test the websites like Yahoo does. If you type anything via the infected browser, Cleanserp.net simply selects the most appropriate web-site of several hundred that are kept in its memory, and shows it to you. You have a 99% probability that this website is dangerous, and has no relation to your request. Adware shows it on the first place only because the owners of this web-site have paid to the web-criminals, obliging them to generate a certain amount of web-site views. Malware doesn’t want you to be a regular client, or to be pleased with its work. It wants you to see as much banners as you can, until you realize that you are deceived.
Step 1. Remove Cleanserp.net from Control Panel
1. Open Programs and Features by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Programs, and then clicking Programs and Features.
2. Select a program, and then click Uninstall.
Step 2. Remove Cleanserp.net from the browser: reset browser settings
1. Click Menu
2. Select Settings
3. Click Show advanced settings…
4. Click Reset settings
Additional info: How to reset Google Chrome
1. Click on Help on menu bar
2 Select Troubleshooting information
3. Click Refresh Firefox…
Additional info: How to reset Mozilla Firefox
1. Click Tools
2. Select Internet Options
3. Select Advanced tab
4. Click Reset… button
5. Click Reset
Additional info: How to reset Internet Explorer
Step 3. Scan computer with trusted antimalware scanner
Tested programs that can remove Cleanserp.net: AdwCleaner, Malwarebytes, Spyhunter. AdwCleaner is a free utility, Malwarebytes has 14 day trial, SpyHunter has a free scan module, but to remove virus , you need to purchase the full version.
Instructions for using SpyHunter antimalware
Instructions for using AdwCleaner antimalware
Instruction for Malwarebytes:
Ransomware may get into your laptop in lots of methods, trying to make the customer to install a viral file. Advertising software do it another way. In fact, adware don’t inflict direct injuries to customer’s laptop and can’t be named “viruses”. They can irritate user; they make the Internet surfing very difficult, yet they do not cause any harm to the user’s PC and the data, stored on it. In this regard, advertising programs are distributed completely legal. Lots of people download it by themselves, reading and confirming the EULA. The most effective way is an installation in bundle with other unpaid programs.
The technique of bundled penetration must be reviewed separately, since it’s the very common cause of infection by adware and hijackers, as well as by all kinds of counterfeit browsers and add-ons. This technique is not difficult: harmful files are attached to the installation file of the wanted tool. Such file is completely closed, and its content cannot be seen. The only action that victim can do with this file is installation. It means that if customer installs the needed software, virus installs too. Even if advertising software causes some inconveniences, it is totally lawful, since it doesn’t spoil the PC and files. When the adware isn’t inside the computer the man still has some chances to avoid it. The opportunity to do so is named “installation for skilled users”. During the installation process you can choose in which manner you want to install the program. It may be recommended or advanced. The recommended way is that you just install everything that is in this file, even if there will be dozens of completely pointless programs. If you pick the second method, you will be shown a list of files, ready for the installation, and will have the opportunity to choose personally, which tools to install. Names of installation techniques may differ, but the essence is always the same – the swindlers want to show that it is better to stop thinking and press “Yes”. If you will know the techniques, which viruses use to infiltrate your computer, it may help you to avoid infection.
Some visitors want to know for what reason criminals create adware that annoy users so badly, if they can simply put ads in designated areas? In fact, at its high cost, legitimate advertisement brings not many customers. The placing of any advertising on any site costs the money, and the value increases in direct proportion to the web-site attendance. Google, Yahoo and Bing provide more targeted advertising strategies, but they can’t are not even close to adware’s productivity. According to the statistics, this banner on any web-page can attract no more than 10% of all users who have seen the advertisement. We must itemize that 10 percent is the unbelievably good outcome, but usually the count is between 1 and 0.01%. Adware is leading almost all users to the specified web-site at lower cost. The majority of users do not consider adware hazardous, until their computers are completely dead, and use these PCs for years, experiencing different problems when surfing the Web, and considering that it’s normal. Suchlike users provide a constant flow of visitors to perilous web-sites, helping them to exist for a long time.
If you executed all steps accurately, perilous program must be removed at this time, and the only thing left to do is to shield your PC from viral threats. Though the anti-viral software is the basis of defense for your system, but just program isn’t enough. Software don’t allow errors, but humans do, and these failures are the main cause of malware infections. There are some rules that you should know, if you want to keep your computer safe:
- The anti-viral tool on your laptop always needs to be updated to the newest version and turned on. Even if you’ll suddenly see the pop-up message with the request to disable an anti-virus to download something, you should not do this. Official programs do not need you to switch off the anti-viral tool for their work, so the message is try to infect your PC.
- You should not disregard the browser prompts. Internet browsers also can distinguish the malicious web-pages, and they see when customer is going to to make something suspicious. If the browser gives you a warning you about the unreliability of the web-page – don’t go to this site.
- Don’t use the facilities of dangerous websites. When we say “dangerous”, we mean all the types of web-sites with content “for adults”, web-pages of ForEx brokers and third-class web-sites that distribute pirated content or low-quality products.
- Always watch closely for the installing of any software. User agreement is too massive, and consists of a lot of unnecessary data, but there may be something useful. If you are installing the paid program, created by famous software developers such as Apple, Kaspersky or Piriform, you can trust in their standing. But the junior developers always need funds, and they may agree to spread harmful software via their own software. If during the installing you are given the option between a “recommended” and “complex” type of installing – choose the “advanced” variant.
- Be cautious with e-mails. If you receive a message that you did not wait for, and you don’t know who send it – you should not open it.
- The copies must be stored on an external hard drive. If the laptop is often attacked by suspicious programs, the wisest choice would be to store the important files on an external hard drive that may become your backup if the workstation will be critically infected.
If you follow these hints, you might avoid getting any malware. If some of your questions are still unanswered – explain it in the “comments” box and we will help you as soon as possible.