This week our attention was attracted by a virus called Chromestart.info, and today we’ll explain you everything that you need to know about it. The item describes the simplest methods to remove Chromestart.info from customer’s machine, as well as from Google Chrome, Opera, Safari, Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox. This malicious program has few symptoms: redirections to suspicious web-sites, slow work of browser, unauthorized change of browser settings and lots of ads.
The only feature that Chromestart.info adware can do – is to place ads on each web-page. After advertising program crawls into the computer, it immediately begins to generate advertising. Advertising banners, pop-ups, malicious links, redirects and the manipulation with the results of search queries – here’s a short list of its manners. Everybody knows that search engines are thoroughly filtering the web-pages that are shown to you. Each page is scrupulously checked, and control can be passed only by the best ones. Web-sites, which do not pass this test, can be called “malicious”. The process is named indexing, and it requires a huge amount of people and time, as tens of thousands of web-sites of varying quality are made every day, and the new, pages, items and sectors appear on the tested websites. The installation of such virus actually declines all services of well-known search engines, and victim’s browser becomes highly vulnerable to all other viruses. Malware has neither the resources nor the people to check the sites like Bing does. When you enter anything via the compromised browser, adware just picks the most appropriate site of few thousand that are stored in its list, and puts it on the first place. Most often, this web-page is dangerous, and isn’t related to your request. Malware puts it to you just because the site owners have signed an agreement with the scammers, obliging them to generate a certain number of link clicks. Adware is not interested in user’s preferences, and pays no attention to his needs. Virus needs you to see as much ads as it is possible, until you know that you were tricked.
Step 1. Remove Chromestart.info from Control Panel
1. Open Programs and Features by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Programs, and then clicking Programs and Features.
2. Select a program, and then click Uninstall.
Step 2. Remove Chromestart.info from the browser: reset browser settings
1. Click Menu
2. Select Settings
3. Click Show advanced settings…
4. Click Reset settings
Additional info: How to reset Google Chrome
1. Click on Help on menu bar
2 Select Troubleshooting information
3. Click Refresh Firefox…
Additional info: How to reset Mozilla Firefox
1. Click Tools
2. Select Internet Options
3. Select Advanced tab
4. Click Reset… button
5. Click Reset
Additional info: How to reset Internet Explorer
Step 3. Scan computer with trusted antimalware scanner
Tested programs that can remove Chromestart.info: AdwCleaner, Malwarebytes, Spyhunter. AdwCleaner is a free utility, Malwarebytes has 14 day trial, SpyHunter has a free scan module, but to remove virus , you need to purchase the full version.
Instructions for using SpyHunter antimalware
Instructions for using AdwCleaner antimalware
Instruction for Malwarebytes:
Viruses may infect the user’s workstation in various ways, in attempts to trick you to download a malicious file. Advertising software act differently. Actually, the advertising programs aren’t harmful and can’t be called “viruses”. They can drive you mad; they make the Internet surfing very difficult, although they can’t inflict any injury to your PC and the personal data. This explains, why adware is spreaded in legal ways. Some people install it personally, from its web site. The most common method is the bundled download with other unpaid tools.
The way of bundled installation has to be reviewed singly, as it’s the most common reason of penetration by adware and hijackers, as well as by all kinds of fraud browsers and add-ons. This method is not difficult: infected files are added to the installer of toll-free software. This file is completely closed, and its contents cannot be seen. Installation is the only process that customer can perform and he, in most cases, does it. It means that if user installs the needed program, adware will install too. Even if adware brings some inconveniences, it is absolutely lawful, since it doesn’t spoil the PC and files. At the phase of downloading you still have a chance to avoid infection. “Installation for skilled users” is the opportunity to intercept the virus before it enters your PC. The option comes in a separate window, during installation, where the installer asks you to pick the installation way between “recommended” and “complex”. The recommended manner means that you just install everything that is in this file, even if there will be ten totally pointless tools. If you choose the advanced manner, you will be shown a list of files, prepared to be installed, and will have the chance to choose personally, which programs to install. Names of installation methods may differ, but the core is always the same – the web are trying to urge you that the best choice is to close your eyes and press “Install”. If you will be aware of the manners, which malware uses to infiltrate your machine, it may assist you to avoid infection.
Many visitors want to know why people make advertising programs that annoy customers so much, if they can easily put ads in designated areas? In fact, at its big value, legal ad brings too few customers. The placing of any ad on any web-site is worth the money, and the price grows in direct proportion to the value of the website itself. Promotional deployment of the site in search results of any search engine costs even more. At the same time, this advertisement on the website attracts no more than ten percent of all visitors who have seen a banner. We should precise that 10 to 1 is a phenomenally good outcome, but more often the ratio goes on tenths of a percent. Adware is leading 100% of victims to the needed web-site at lower cost. Most people do not consider adware harmful, until their machines are completely clogged, and use those laptops for years, experiencing different issues during the use of Internet, and thinking that it’s normal. Suchlike users are assuring a continuous flow of victims to untrusted sites, helping them to function for a many years.
If you performed all steps properly, adware must be eliminated for now, and the only thing left to do is to protect your PC from the future viral attacks. You know that the anti-viral program is the basis of defense for your machine, but just software is not enough. In majority of cases, the user is the weakest place of anti-viral system, which invites the virus to sneak into the machine. To avoid the infection you should abide to certain rules, so we created a list for you:
- The anti-virus on your PC always needs to be properly updated and turned on. Some viruses can ask you to disable the anti-viral software. It might be performed in form of a pop-up window or in different manner. You must not abide to suchlike requests.
- You should not disregard the browser advices. Internet browsers can easily recognize the dangerous sites, and they perceive when you try to do something suspicious. If your browser warns you about the hazard of a particular site – do not go to this site.
- Never use the services of suspicious web-pages. These are any sort of sites with content “for adults”, ForEx broker’s sites and shoddy web-sites, which spread not licensed programs or bad-quality goods.
- You should watch carefully for the installing of any software. EULA is very boring, and consists of a lot of useless data, but if you’ll read it – you might know something important. If we’re talking about the good tool, designed by famous software creators such as Piriform, Microsoft or Skype, you can believe in their fame. But if you will try to rely on the pirated programs in this way, you’ll put at risk your PC and the information kept there. If during the installing you are given the option between a “recommended” and “complex” manner of installing – choose the “complex” option.
- Be cautious with e-mails. If you got a letter, which you did not expect, and you do not know the sender – it is better not to click on it.
- Always copy important information on an external hard drive. If the workstation is often attacked by malware, the wisest decision would be to keep the important files on an external media that will become your backup if the workstation will be critically contaminated.
If you listen to these tips, you might avoid getting any viral infection. If some of your questions are still unanswered – write it in the “comments” box and we will help you as soon as possible.